This week, we welcomed the Bolton boys back to their Victoria home! After a flurry of suitcases and unpacking sessions, they had a chance to settle back into their rooms, catch up with their roommates and slowly but surely gear up for their academic classes. There were lots of winter break stories being shared, and there seemed to be a general sense of excitement and renewed commitment in the air.
Eric X and Joshua M wasted no time rekindling their roommate fire, joining forces on their homework assignment during one of the first prep times of 2021.
The amazing roommate duo of Robert and Hanson decided to shift their collective focus to the common room, where they dusted off the pool cues and got right down to business.
Joshua T and Kira from Timmis House decided to collaborate on their studying one night, showing everyone what a productive prep session looks like!
Our guys were also busy making the most out of their time at school, starting with Adam K, Subaig and Chris who got to work on the squash courts.
Ryan C showed us skills in Strings class…
While Hanson and Robert rolled up their sleeves in Chemistry class and showed off their lab skills.
This January, we had the great fortune of welcoming two new Bolton buds to our house.
Joshua joins us from New Territories, Hong Kong, and is eager to settle into our Bolton House family and become involved with school activities. He describes himself as a “history nerd” who also feels right at home playing his bass guitar in rock bands and reading up on cars, which are one of his biggest passions. Below, we ask Joshua some fun questions to get to know him better!
- If you could live anywhere, where would it be? Some kind of mountain range like the Swiss Alps, where I would be able to enjoy a slower-paced lifestyle than in a large, bustling city.
- What is your favourite movie? It’s tough to choose one, but I have to go with Sing Street. It came into my life exactly at the right place at the right time.
- Whom would you want to be stranded on a deserted island with? To be honest, probably Darrell, my current roommate!
- What is your favourite type of food? Definitely my grandma’s homemade Korean food – my favourite dish of hers is called 된장찌게, a soybean-based spicy soup.
- If you could join any past or current music group, which would you want to join? The Velvet Underground.
- (Bonus Question) Favourite car? BMW E24 6-Series
Sahan joins us from Nairobi, Kenya, and is looking forward to integrating into the boarding community and exploring the city. He is an avid participant in the Duke of Edinburgh program, and is currently working towards his Silver Award after having completed his Bronze Level. He also competes in Model United Nations competitions and has a passion for animals. Here, we get to find out more about Sahan through a quick and fun interview!
- What is your favourite subject in school? Environmental Science – I want to study environmental law in the future.
- What is the tallest building you have been to the top in? The Burj Khalifa.
- What is the best gift you have been given? My mom gave me a family photo when I came here to SMUS.
- If you could go back in time, what year would you travel to? 1978 – My dad was born in 1974, and I would like to experience what my dad’s childhood was like.
- What is your proudest accomplishment? Leaving home and moving to Victoria, BC to attend SMUS.
In the coming week, the Bolton boys will be into the full swing of their classes. They will also be participating in after-school sports, including the likes of ping pong, rugby, basketball and yoga. While the weather has not been the sunniest, the members of our boarding community are finding time to reflect on the year that has passed and to look ahead with optimism to the year that is to come. Send us happy thoughts and until next time, take care!